Articles by Bent Alaska News Team
The Bent Alaska News Team brings news for the Alaska LGBTQ community to Bent Alaska's Facebook wall and blog. The Bent Alaska News Team is: Christopher Constant, Lauren Tibbits, Mel Green, & soon to be more. Want to join the news team? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a message to Bent Alaska on Facebook.
Another federal judge rules against DOMA; Southern Poverty Law Center reports on NOM’s antigay lies; suicide risks for black gay youth; transgender rights in Manitoba; British TV series features transgender main character; an antigay attack in Minnesota ; and other news of the week from @bentalaska.
Dharun Ravi sentenced on charges related to death of Tyler Clementi; North Carolina pastor calls for concentration camps for gays/lesbians; and other news of the week from Bent Alaska’s Twitter feed @bentalaska.
Bent News, 2012-05-22: Ex-gay therapy loses its one scientific “proof”; black faith leaders against NOM’s wedge tactics
Spitzer repudiates “ex-gay” study; black LGBT activists and faith take action against NOM’s wedge politics; protection from discrimination against transgender workers takes effect; and other Bent Alaska news of the day.
- RT @metroweekly: Obama Admin Issues #LGBT Inclusive Rules Aimed at Eliminating Prison Sexual Assault – http://t.co/poeOIrEi #
- RT @HRC: Maine Legislature Passes Protections for Students http://t.co/o7DlG6p4 #lgbt #antibullying #
- Congrats! RT @equalityfl: Victory! Volusia County [in central Florida] Passes Domestic Partnership Registry http://t.co/lb8mzt36 #lgbt #
- Congrats! Salina (Kansas) City Commission passes GLBT anti-discrimination ordinance http://t.co/WM6arOHG #
- Took out LGBT too/ @lauritadianita: House is voting on version of #VAWA (HR4970) that takes away tribes’ ability to issue restraining orders #
- Good. We all need protection RT @ThinkProgressFD: White House Threatens To Veto Watered Down Violence Against Women Act http://t.co/rPuBKRIp #
Transgender panel discusses gender identity and discrimination on MSNBC show; the unequal burden of taxation on LGBT families; and other Bent Alaska news of the week.
First convictions under the the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act; updated policy for gender markers on immigration documents; and other Bent Alaska news of the day.
The dangers of handholding in Tennessee; Cissna challenges Young for Congress; study confirms coming out is healthy for LGB people; equal rights in Pennsylvania; and other Bent Alaska news of the day.
As Anchorage officials continue to deal with the numerous irregularities of the April 3 election, a transgender woman wins a victory against Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles; and other news from Bent Alaska’s Twitter feed.
Progress in addressing anti-LGBT bullying in the nation’s schools; a brutal murder in Scotland might have been an antigay attack; and 100 black icons for LGBT History Month in this edition of Bent News.
Schools are making progress in addressing anti-LGBT bullying
- @tlrd: AP survey of last year’s anti-bullying sentiment in WaPo is well written, balanced, will aggravate many http://t.co/6TWH0oLS #
- AP story in WaPo: A year after teen suicide spate, more gay students are speaking out, schools taking action http://t.co/B5f6cmRS #
Associated Press reporter Christina Hoag’s story on how schools have bee addressing anti-LGBT bullying since last year’s spate of suicides appeared in the Washington Postand other newspapers. The gay blog Towleroad summarizes it as “a well written, balanced, succinct piece of work, and it’s probably doomed to aggravate a lot of people.” Both the original piece (second tweet & link) and Towleroad’s commentary (& its readers comments) are worth a full read. Most important is that schools and students around the nation have been working to address anti-LGBT bullying, and the attention paid to it is also leading to broader acceptance of LGBT people.
But the work is far, far from over. And so another tweet from yesterday:
- Miami Herald: on the death by suicide of bullied youth Jamey Rodemeyer, which led actor Zachary Quinto to come out. http://t.co/AkD0THir #
The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) had anti-bullying resources.
Murder in Scotland
- Hotel manager Stuart Walker beaten & burned alive in Scotland may have been murdered for being gay | Mail Online http://t.co/PW0YZOSg #
Stuart Walker, 28, was beaten, burned alive, and left at the side of the road to die in Ayrshire, Scotland in what some now believe may have been an antigay attack, though at this point police are saying there’s no proof. Stuart Walker was clearly murdered, in any case, whether out of antigay bias or for some other reason. There’s more coverage at The Telegraph, and gay blogs in the U.S. are also commenting, including Towleroad.
More icons for LGBT History Month
- 50 black gay men & 50 black lesbians (besides Wanda Sykes) that you should know: video montages by Alvin McEwen http://t.co/Nu5i6LNh #
“Wanda Sykes Is Cool, But What About All The Other Great Black Lesbians?” asks Queerty. YouTube user comingoutblaq has a video of 50 black gay men you should know, and two videos which between them also introduce you to 50 black lesbians you should know — besides Wanda Sykes. Here’s one of them: