Fairview Block Party 2012 — Saturday, July 21
Anchorage’s Fairview Community Council holds its annual Fairview Block Party this Saturday, July 21, with live music and peformance art, a beer garden, family and kids’ activities, parkour, and yummy food vendors. (The food, that is, not the vendors!) This year’s block party will include a remembrance and performance in honor of Mya Dale.
In the past few years, the Fairview neighborhood of Anchorage has been shaping itself into one of the most — what’s a good word? — enthusiastic neighborhoods of the city, many of its residents working hard to instill community spirit and neighborliness in the face of often unfriendly circumstances.
The Fairview Block Party is a fun neighborhood event that’s welcoming to everyone — straight, gay, or who cares. And, you don’t need to be a Fairview neighborhood resident to come and have a fantastic time.
Fairview Block Party Lineup
- 2:00 — Bootleg Brown, bluegrass & acoustic country: David Mannheimer (guitar, vocals), Chuck Dunnagan (banjo, dobro, vocals),
Lowell Webb (mandolin, vocals), Paul Paslay (upright bass, vocals), Suzanne Little (rhythm guitar, vocals).
- 3:15 — Cali Delgado & the Last Frontier Drag Kings, Friday Night Divas & special guests First CME Gospel Choir. In honor of Mya Dale, who died on June 20, Cali Delgado and Danny Ashton Earll will lead a performance of the Last Frontier Drag Kings, the Friday Night Divas, and special guests, the choir from First Christian Methodist Episcopalian Church. Danny will read a eulogy for Mya and the organizers of the block party would like all to attend.
- 3:45 — Awards and Program
- 4:00 — Umiivik the Technologist presents AKU-MATU, Inupiat performance artist.
- 4:50 — Wisdom, spoken word artist.
- 5:00 — Laura Oden, singer/songwriter.
- 5:45 — Pros & Cons, indie rock: Joe Johnson (guitar/vocals), Jason Searle (guitar/vocals), Aaron Schlosberg (bass), and Adam Waldron (percussion).
- Date/time: Saturday, July 21, 2:00–7:00 PM
- Location:Location: 13th & Nelchina Street (near Fairview Elementary School), Anchorage (see map)
- Cost of admission: Free!
- Further info: see Facebook events page
Mr. Whitekeys (right) with Daphne DoAll LaChores at the 2011 Fairview Block Party. Photo by Lisa Seifert Photography; used with permission.Tags: Fairview Block Party, Fairview Community Council, Friday Night Divas, Last Frontier Drag Kings, Mya Dale