Sara’s News Roundup 11/28/11: Phyllis Lyon celebrates 87
Longtime LGBT activist Phyllis Lyon turns 87, the impact of same-sex marriage in the presidential race, and other recent LGBTQ news selected by Sara Boesser in Juneau, Alaska.
1) Rachel Maddow Wishes LGBT Activist Phyllis Lyon Happy Birthday – Video
SheWired, November 22, 2011
On November 16, Rachel Maddow wished pioneering LGBT rights activist Phyllis Lyon Happy Birthday at Phyllis’ “Big Birthday Bash” sponsored by Lyon-Martin Health Services on November 16, 2011 at the San Francisco LGBT Center (her 87th birthday was actually on November 10). Watch:
Lyon-Martin Health Services provides personalized healthcare and support services to women and transgender people who lack access to quality care because of their sexual or gender identity, regardless of their ability to pay.
2) Gay Marriage Could Bring Shifts in Republican Race
Concord, New Hampshire, Associated Press, November 24, 2011
3) Gay marriage message takes gentler tone in Maine
California, San Francisco Chronicle, November 21, 201
4) Opinion: Keeping Marital Secrets Closeted
New York Times, November 24, 2011
5) Author Jonathan Dudley Examines What the Bible Really Says About Gay Marriage (and Other Surprising Revelations)
Baltimore, Maryland, Marketwire, October 28, 2011
6) Seniors Know The Key to Happiness
Advocate, November 21, 2011
7) Young, Gay And Homeless: Fighting For Resources
NPR, November 20, 2011
8) The Flesh and the Spirit
Advocate, November 23, 2011
9) Two Spirit Documentary Breaks PBS Records
Advocate, November 19, 2011
10) The Gay Men’s Chorus strives to stay relevant
Sacramento, Calif., Sacramento Bee, November 27, 2011
11) Transgender Player Helps American Samoa to First International Soccer Win
Apia, Samoa, New York Times, November 25, 2011
12) I’m Retiring the Word ‘Tranny’… Will You Join Me?
Huffington Post, October 19, 2011
13) Lady Gaga To Receive Trevor Hero Award For LGBT Community Work
Huffington Post, November 20, 2011
14) Do You Want To See The “It’s Time” Marriage Ad On TV?
Australia, Advocate, November 27, 2011