This weekend in LGBT Alaska (5/13/11): Tommy, The Glass Menagerie, & roller derby
Events this weekend in LGBT Alaska include Mad Myrna’s production of Tommy, Tennessee Williams’ The Glass Menagerie and two films (one a fundraiser!) at Out North, three regular Anchorage drag shows, a dehibernation bear bust & bbq, and roller derby. And don’t miss the submission deadline for the summer issue of Alaska Women Speak!
Yep, it’s a packed weekend of events in LGBT Alaska this week, at least in Anchorage. For further details on any of these events, go to our Alaska LGBTQ events page, and click on the event you’re interested in on the calender. There you’ll find all the details, including date, time, location, cost, and links to where you can get further information.
- Sunday, May 15, is the submission deadline for Alaska Women Speak. The Summer 2011 issue has the theme “The Adventures of Alaskan Subsistence: Hunting and Gathering to Provide”. You can submit by email!
- The Who’s Tommy is at Mad Myrna’s Friday and Saturday night. The show got a great review in the Anchorage Press on Wednesday. This is the show’s last weekend — don’t miss it!
- Lots going on at Out North: The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams plays Thursdays through Sundays until May 22; and there are also a couple of movies screening this weekend: the horrifically (and hilariously) bad The Room on Friday, and a special screening Saturday of the gay film Abrupt Decision as a fundraiser for Out North.
- Is your weekend a drag without drag? Not to worry: On Friday, Mad Myrna’s Friday Night Diva Variety Show follows Tommy (with karaoke to follow). Illusions of Delusion is taking the night off Friday, but they’ll be back at the Crazy Horse Saturday night. And Kodiak Bar & Grill will also hold its regular Saturday night performance of the Lip Gloss Review.
- The Brown Bear Dehibernation Bus Run is Saturday, leaving The Raven at noon, with beer & BBQ at the Brown Bear in Indian.
- The Rage City Rollergirls Battle of the Boobs — yep, that’s what it’s called: Anchorage’s roller derby women will “inspire everyone to fight like a girl in an all-league round robin tournament supporting breast cancer awareness.” Some of the proceeds will be donated to the Tundra Women’s Coalition, which operates a women’s shelter in Bethel.
- SEAGLA Friday Social at the Goldbelt Hotel.
Is your event not on our calendar? No matter where you are in the state, if you’re running an event of interest to the LGBT community, we’d be glad to put it on our calendar. Learn how to get the news to us by reading all about our new & improved Bent Alaska events calendar.Tags: calendar, Rage City Rollergirls, roller derby